Ram Nath Kovind on Thursday elected as India’s 14th President by defeating opposition candidate Meira Kumar, garnering more than 65% of the votes in the electoral college.
Here we collected some interesting Facts about the Newly elected president of India:-
- Ram Nath Kovind was born October 1, 1945, at Kanpur Dehat in Uttar Pradesh and is the youngest of three Brothers.
- Married to Savita Kovind on 30th May 1974, Ram Nath Kovind has a son Prashant Kumar, who is married, and a daughter, Swati.
- He served as a Central government advocate of Delhi high court from 1977 to 1979, was also a member of Central Government Standing Counsel in the Supreme Court from 1980 to 1993.
- In April 1994, he was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh and served for two consecutive terms for 12 years until March 2006.
- He was the President of the BJP Dalit Morcha from 1998 to 2002 and President of the All-India Koli Samaj, along with the SC/ST representative, at IIM-Calcutta.
- He has represented India in the United Nations and addressed the United Nations General Assembly in October 2002.
- On August 8, 2015, Kovind was appointed the governor of Bihar.
- Ram Nath Kovind has served as a board member at Dr. B.R Ambedkar University in Lucknow and the Indian Institute of Management in Kolkata.
- Ram Nath Kovind, an advocate by profession, Since his enrollment with the Bar Council of Delhi in 1971, he practiced in the Delhi High Court and Supreme Court for about 16 years till 1993.
- Ram Nath Kovind has served as a member of several important Parliamentary Committees.They include: Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes, Parliamentary Committee on Home Affairs, Parliamentary Committee on Petroleum and Natural Gas, Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, Parliamentary Committee on Law and Justice. He also chaired the Rajya Sabha House Committee.